My Jukebox: Jack Wakelin



My Jukebox is a chance to get up close and personal with the record collections (we live in the 21st century and so Spotify discoveries are happily included alongside physical collections) of some of Sheffield’s well-known faces.

Next up is Sheffield’s own cocktail wizard Jack Wakelin. Best recognised from his days behind the bar of Sheffield’s award winning Public, Jack has built a reputation for creating and serving the city’s coolest alcoholic beverages. After honing his skills at Picture House Social, Jack took over management of the bar at Public and was behind the creation of a menu of incredible cocktails and drinks with a clear focus on locally sourced seasonal ingredients, clever twists on taste and flavour, and going far beyond the usual expectations of a cocktail!

More recently, Jack has being the driving force behind the Bench event series with partner Tom Aronica. Bench has seen them take over different venues to deliver a contemporary blend of fine food and drink pairings, and has been a welcome addition to the foodie scene in Sheffield. The pair are excited to be bringing Bench to its own new home in Nether Edge very soon and Jack kindly took some time away from preparations to speak to Ear to the Ground about his record collection.

What was the first album you bought?

So, the first album I bought was Oasis - 'Familiar to Millions'. My brother, who is a little older, got me into them. I remember listening to it back to back whilst playing FIFA in my bedroom. It came out around the same time as the 'smell the pitch - scratch and sniff' disc. Never forget that.

What albums or songs remind you of home?

I've lived in Sheffield for 7 years and now consider this as my home I guess. The day we first moved here, we had a walk round and I bought Charles Bradley’s – ‘Victim of Love' record. Every time I listen to that album it takes me straight back to that first week partying and dancing around the kitchen before going out.

What albums or songs do you work to?

I think working in bars and restaurants opens you to constantly be listening to new music and genres as you quickly become bored of listening to the same playlist. It becomes almost mind-numbing when you know what song is about to come on next. Hip-hop usually brings the vibe though, 'Kendrick Lamar – ‘Damn' will always remind me of my time at Public.

What have you been listening to during lockdown?

In between listening to 'That Peter Crouch Podcast' #passthepod, I've been listening to Fabric presents 'Maribou States DJ mix'. One tune in particular Art Feynman – ‘Slow Down'.

What tunes get you on the dance floor?

The only dance floor I've seen recently is in my kitchen and we've been listening to Kabal radio, who have been providing the Saturday night vibes. One they played which I can't stop listening to is Roska, Aleisha Lee – ‘Lose ya mind'.

What's your favourite album of all time?

Probably have to choose Arctic Monkeys - 'AM', a very stereotypical answer but it’s a record of absolute bangers.

One just for you - what are the best tunes to enjoy a Wakelin made drink to?

Well we've created a Bench Playlist which you can find on Spotify now, so head over to there and find an array of music chosen by both myself and Tom which we hope will provide the backdrop to many plates and drinks.


A huge thanks to Jack for taking the time to speak with us and keep an eye out on Bench’s social media for more news about their venue plans.

Comments

Popular Posts