In Conversation with Howie Payne




Howie Payne is arguably the most underrated singer-songwriter in Britain. Payne first came to the public’s attention as the lead singer and songwriter of the band The Stands who emerged in the early noughties as part of the wave of talent from Liverpool that also included The Zutons and The Coral. 
The Stands released two highly acclaimed records before parting ways.

Payne then launched into a solo career and his first record, the Ethan Johns produced ‘Bright Light Ballads’, was a collection of brooding and gentle ballads with his soft vocals perfectly complimenting the more melodic and country inspired sounds he had developed. Intermittent live shows and demos followed before follow up record ‘Mountain’ was released in 2017. This new record saw Payne’s sound mature whilst maintaining his trademark melodic psychedelic song writing. 

As Payne has recently released new EP ‘In Dreams’, it is a great pleasure that he has taken time out of his busy schedule to chat with Ear to the Ground about his recording history, his approach to song writing and what he has been listening to during lock-down.

It’s exciting news that you have a new EP out and the tracks sound great. What are the inspirations behind the new EP? 

Thanks. I’ve been listening to a lot of guitar music - Blues, Cream, Blind Faith, Hendrix - the music that really got me into playing guitar originally. I think that has probably pushed me back into a heavier space. 

The new tracks you’ve released see you take a departure from your more recent acoustic sound and there is a more psychedelic feel to the new material. What inspired you to try this sound? 

I was always an electric guitar player, and I think my music’s always had a dose of psychedelia - you know, songs like 'She Speaks of These Things' and ‘The Way She Does’ from The Stands thing fall into that. So do my solo songs like ‘Hold Steady The Wire’ and ‘All of These Things'. In Liverpool I’m known more as a bit of a rock and roll guy - The Stands were pretty heavy live, and before The Stands I was always in very loud rock and roll bands.

Are there any plans to follow up the EP with a new album? 

I don’t know if there’ll be an album - who knows at the moment right - I had a few tracks finished before the lock-down and I’m mixing a couple now to come out in June and then we’ll see where we are at, if we can get back in the studio.

How does writing, recording and performing as a solo artist differ to the same experience with the Stands? 

Writing’s the same because I wrote all the songs for The Stands. I'm recording now with different musicians but that’s the only difference really - I mean it doesn’t change what I’m doing. Playing live when you’ve just got an acoustic guitar is a different kind of show than when you’re with a band -  it's as good - but it's a different experience for me and for the audience. With the new band, we haven’t played that much together yet because of the lock-down, but even at the London show in February I could tell that this is a better band, and everyone at that show could hear it. I mean, I’m a better player now, and the new band are better players than The Stands were back then, so it sounds better. 

What is your approach to songwriting? Do you start with the lyrics or the melody or is it different each time? 

I don’t really have a set approach that I follow, to be honest. Music just seems to come into my head and I try and catch it. Sounds a bit mad, but that really is what happens. 

You come from a very musical family. Do you continue to collaborate at all on any writing or recording? 

My sister Candie sang on 'Bright Light Ballads', and I was in a band with my brother Sean before The Stands and The Zutons got going. It’s always great to make music with them, but we all do our own thing. 

What has been your favourite live performance to date? 

There've been some amazing shows but it’s only the odd thing that you remember, like a flash. I remember before and after, but the bit when you're playing is a bit of a blur. Saying that, the Oasis stadium tour in 05 was pretty epic, but then so was going around Europe for the first time with Jet, or when an acoustic show really works and you and the crowd connect, nothing beats it. There are too many of them to pick one.   

If you had to choose a favourite song you’ve written which song would you choose? 

I really like ‘Faster Than Light’… which just came out.  I’m always most excited about the newest one, so at the moment there’s a song called ‘It Feels Like Summer’ that’s coming out soon. I am really into that one. 

What records have you been listening to during lock-down?

I’ve been listening to The Raconteurs' new record - bits of that I really like. I like some of The Black Keys' new album, too. I’ve gotten into the Hamburg-era Beatles a bit, probably because my brother (Sean Payne) is doing the Jaded Hearts Club band thing and they were doing a bunch of those early Beatles tunes. And I’ve been listening to a lot of guitar players - Freddie King, Peter Green, Buddy Guy, Cream - that kind of thing. Lots of rock and roll. 

Howie Payne's new EP 'In Dreams' is out now.

Comments

Popular Posts